12.23.2008

More Xmas DIY...dot-painted china.



I know it may be a little late to be be posting crafty Christmas ideas...unless you are a true procrastinator (and if you are, get your booty to a craft store. You can complete this project in about an hour-not including baking time). But I think this is a great gift idea for any time of the year. I was browsing Martha's holiday magazine and was completely intimidated to start this project-I thought it would be harder than it was. But as long as you have patience and a pretty steady hand, you'll give a simple gift and make a big impression.

Note: If you want the Christmas templates, you'll have to buy the special-edition magazine. The templates on Martha's site are for year-round projects (that's what I used).

What you'll need (I found the paint, transfer paper and applicator bottle at Michael's):
*ballpoint pen
*ceramic paint, such as Pebeo porcelain 150
*toothpicks or wooden coffee stirrers
*applicator bottle
*baby wipes
*transfer paper
*paper muffin cups



Cut out the template, after photocopying to the desired size.
Place transfer paper under template and tape to ceramic dish.


Using the ball-point pen, press on each dot firmly.


Remove transfer paper and template. I mixed fushia and white to form a light pink. Then, pour paint in applicator. Make sure to test paint flow and dot size. I found that if I barely tapped on the mug with the applicator, I got the right size. I didn't have to squeeze the applicator once the paint was in the tip.



Let the paint dry for two hours, then bake the ceramics in the oven at 325 for 30 minutes.
For templates and instructions, go here.
[Image: Martha Stewart]

p.s. If you are the super-crafty bride, you can order mugs or plates online for super cheap and make these as favors/seating arrangements. You can also do this project with bud vases and include a single flower in them.

3 comments:

Jenny.Lee said...

I love this idea. I'll definitely have to do this.

plinphx said...

Great gift idea! Thanks!

...love Maegan said...

CUTE!!!!

Did I miss anything?

I love to post inspired ideas and photos from other blogs and the web. I try my best to give credit where it's due, but if I miss something, please let me know. And, if you want something taken down, I can do that. No problemo.

Labels