1.09.2009

Appreciation #1: hot showers.

One of my resolutions/goals this year is to be more present, more in the 'now'. And I think one huge thing that is connected with the 'present' is appreciation. I often find myself wanting more... more money, more clothes, more shoes--you get the idea. I really believe that's one of our nation's problems as a whole; why we're in this economic crisis. The media certainly has a way of telling us we're not good enough unless we own 'x', 'y' or 'z'. We're not pretty enough if we don't buy brand 'a' make-up. We're really missing out if we don't own a pair of Jimmy Choos (maybe we are? I haven't been able to afford them!). I know that if I stop to appreciate the little things in my life, from a simple sunset to my Aldos, that I can create a 'richer', more fulfilling life. I'm going to record my appreciations starting today.

Hot showers.

Oh boy. Let me tell you. I love hot, steaming, burning showers. Probably because I'm always cold. I know that if I can get into a hot shower for 3 minutes, I'll be warm for the next two hours.


When I was in South America this past summer, it was practically impossible to find a hot shower. Mind you this was the continent's winter, so upon waking in a freezing hotel room, all we wanted was a warm shower. Not the case. In many countries, a hot shower is unheard of, a complete luxury. Coming home after my trip and taking a warm shower (with water pressure) was pure bliss. For that, I am thankful.

I would love to hear about the simple things about which you are appreciative.

12 comments:

Jenny.Lee said...

Sweet comments from people like you! Thank you!

AmberP said...

Ohhhhhhh how I LOVE hot showers. In fact, I just took one :) Love it!
I agree, slowly down to appreciate the little things in life can totally enrich our everyday. Why wouldn't we do that?!?!

AmberP said...

Oh and yay for adding the Followers :)

Sondra's Ink said...

I appreciate that we have SO many choices. If we want cheese for example, we have inexpensive cheese, imported cheese, or organic cheese, etc. The same is true of our clothing, jewelry, and most everything else. Jimmy Choos, Candies, Keds, or even vintage thrift store finds? I appreciate that we can choose to be practical or over-the-top on almost everything we purchase. I know I have certain items I splurge on and I am really glad that I am given the luxury of so many options.

Once A Bride said...

I *heart* cheese! Probably a little too much since I'm lactose intolerant. I'm glad you brought it up, Sondra! :)

Authentically U - Bride said...

hhhhhhmmmmmmm, I guess my appreciation #1 would have to be the freedom to practice what ever religion we choose in the US. I was just reading the other day about how people have to worship in secret in other countries and I just can't imagine how horrible that must be. Yep, we'll go with that one for my daily appreciation!! Thanks for sharing.....and making me really think about it!!

A Wedding Story said...

For some reason, your blog won't let me be a follower...augh!

Once A Bride said...

That is so weird--others have told me that, too. I'm goint to get to the bottom of it.....

Classy in Philadelphia said...

Thanks for the comment! I just added your blog to my reader.

I love hot showers, they are the best. Hmmm, another simple thing I am appreciative of? Books. I love reading!

Once A Bride said...

I love books, too-big nerd. In fact, you just inspired me for a new appreciation post! Stay tuned. :)

Mara (The Wedding Cabaret) said...

Hot showers are awesome! so is a cup of hot well made coffee! mmm

sony said...

I too heart HOT showers!!! YUM.. :)

Did I miss anything?

I love to post inspired ideas and photos from other blogs and the web. I try my best to give credit where it's due, but if I miss something, please let me know. And, if you want something taken down, I can do that. No problemo.

Labels