1.13.2009

Dream a little dream...part 2


I, like many 20-somethings, went through a sort of quarter-life crisis. I shouldn’t say sort of, it was. And it lasted for more than a couple of years.

Although I had a college degree in journalism and public relations, I had always loved acting and had it in my mind that after college, I would pursue my dream of being a professional actor. And so it was.

I moved to NYC, after a brief stint in Phoenix. Informercials, plays, commercials, extra work, etc. followed. I won’t bore you with all details, but just prior to the crisis of which I speak, I realized that I was too Type A to put my career in someone else’s hands. As an actor, you never know where your next job is coming from. No matter how hard you think you’re working, it just may not be hard enough. Or you may be too tall/too brunette/too fat/too short for the part. Or in many cases, you just can’t get into an audition because you’re not in the union. But you can’t get into the union without being in a union job. See the dilemma?

During my oh-so-fabulous stint as a NYC actress, I worked as a bartender at a popular restaurant (to pay the bills) which held quite a few fancy parties and weddings. I soon realized that I was envious of the event planner. You see, I had planned my fair share of events for a PR agency and a production company in Phoenix. I knew that I had liked working in events-but the only career I had seriously considered was acting. And while I was pouring glasses of wine and shaking those martinis, something inside of me started tapping me on the shoulder trying to get my attention. And it worked.

I used some of my NYC connections to land an ‘internship’ at a prestigious event-planning company. I helped with book releases, fashion show after-parties, movie premier after-parties, among other events and realized that I had found what I was looking for.

Then, as life likes to throw curve-balls, my Matt entered back into my life (I always knew he would. I will share this story someday, I promise).

He lived in Denver. I was in New York City. What was a girl to do?

{to be continued...}

8 comments:

Jennifer said...

Oh, what a great story! I can't wait to hear the rest!

The Bona Fide Preppy Bride said...

I really love your writing style.. and I'm ready for the next part!!!

Once A Bride said...

Thanks for the feedback! Yea!

Lulu said...

I'm so glad you found me on Twitter! So intrigued... I'm from CO, then Phx, and am now in NYC... Can so relate thus far! Going to add you to my followers, can't wait to hear more!
xoxo,
Lulu

Once A Bride said...

That is sooo funny. Can't wait to hear more.

Nicole {PinkDesign} said...

Hi, I'm trying to add myself as a follower but when I click on "Follow this blog" I get a page error! Is it just me?

Great blog!!

Authentically U - Bride said...

Girl , ou've got me hanging on to your every word waiting on the rest of the story!! hahahaha! Can't wait to hear more! And what a beautiful picture.

Bride Sophisticate said...

Great chapter one, cant wait for chapter two!

Did I miss anything?

I love to post inspired ideas and photos from other blogs and the web. I try my best to give credit where it's due, but if I miss something, please let me know. And, if you want something taken down, I can do that. No problemo.

Labels