2.02.2009

Baby steps.

In life, I tend to look at the big picture and have grandiose ideas about the outcome of any situation. Sometimes I have to remind myself that I can get there, but it will be one baby step at a time. I find that this is how I learn anything completely new.

For instance, you should have seen me my first time on skis. I should preface this by saying that my first time skiing was with Matt and he was pretty much born on skis...that man can hold his own down a double black diamond! When I moved to Colorado, and winter rolled around, people at work kept asking, "How can you live in Colorado and not ski?" Hello people! I'm new! I realized that I should take advantage of one of Colorado's great past times and would have to at least try to learn to ski and since I am game for anything (at least once) Matt took me to Copper Mountain for my birthday.

I told Matt he could give me a few lessons on the beginner hill and I would be fine. I guess the word 'beginner' is subjective to a person who has been skiing his whole life. So, my first hour on skis, Matt led me to the ultra-packed lift line. At this point, I couldn't even control my skis let alone turn around each corner in line with hundreds of people. My skis kept hitting everyone, tripping little kids and I even somehow managed to fall down. It was a disaster. So you can imagine how my confidence was slipping rapidly as we approached the front of the line. Matt explained, "When the chair picks up the group ahead of us, ski toward that yellow line, then let the next chair swoop you up." Easy, right? Not so much.

After the skiers ahead of us got on their chair, I couldn't manage to move forward on my skis--since I wasn't sure how to make them work. When Matt realized this, he started to pull me with him and since I was on the outside end, I was the last one of our group of four to get to the yellow line. By this time the other skiers in our group were managing to get on the lift. I had half my body in alignment with the seat and the other half was on the outside of the chair, being pushed by the lift. If you've ever been skiing, you know that there's a tiny snow hill where the lift is, and then it slopes down as the chair lifts up. Well, I still wasn't on the chair but the time it was lifting up. I had Matt grabbing on to one arm and a man next to him pulling my leg up, both men trying to get me on the chair before...

I fell...

...in front of everyone. I fell off the chair, down into the snow below. In front of everyone! They had to stop the lift (moans from the crowd), reverse the chair back to position, help me stand back up (no easy feat since my skis were tangled beneath me), and have one of the operators literally pull me back to position, where he basically lifted me up onto the chair.

In front of everyone. Oh, the embarrassment.

[image from here]


After the operators started the lift again, there were literally cheers from the crowd and one of our chair companions asked if I should even be on the lift. Nice. Way to make me feel better. Did I mention that I'm scared of heights? We continued up, up, up the mountain (I was seriously doubting this was a beginner hill). The rest of the day went similarly to the first part, but with me finally sitting down on the snow and refusing to move. Matt ended up calling the ski patrol to take me down the hill mountain.

[image from here]

I kept repeating to Matt the rest of the day, "I learn by taking baby steps!" To Matt's credit, he honestly thought I would be okay skiing down a blue run my first time, which is why he skipped the bunny hill. He later told me, "You always learn things so quickly, I didn't think it would be a problem." I definitely learned from this incident to speak up when I am not feeling completely comfortable with something. I wanted to try to play it cool that day, but I should have told him when we were in line that I was scared.

At times, starting my own business, has been like that day in the lift line. I don't want anyone to know that there are moments when I'm scared. The unknown can be a pretty frightening thing and for me, it's no exception. There are so many tasks to undertake to get started, and of course, I want to succeed---to get on that lift and ride to the top without any problems. But I know, that I must take baby steps, be patient and everything will come together, one step at a time.

2 comments:

amybyrd said...

So my first time skiing in Colorado was with a bunch of my students and fellow teachers--who siad you've skiied before right--yeah once in 8th grade!!--So they put me on a life, a green run--and I went down several times--the last time in the Ski Patrol sled with a very nice ski patrol woman--needless to say that part of Colorado living is not for me!

The wife said...

I can so relate to this story on so many different levels!

Did I miss anything?

I love to post inspired ideas and photos from other blogs and the web. I try my best to give credit where it's due, but if I miss something, please let me know. And, if you want something taken down, I can do that. No problemo.

Labels