2.13.2009

DIY Friday: pomegranate mojitos.

[image from here]


Are you planning an intimate dinner at home tomorrow? A gathering with friends? Whatever your plans are, it's the weekend! Have a yummy cocktail to celebrate.


Ingredients (this is for two drinks):
1/2 pomegranate (optional)
1/4 cup fresh mint leaves separated from the stems, plus 2 sprigs for garnish
4 tablespoons fresh lime juice--you can cut this in half if you're sensitive to lime (I love lots of lime!)
3 ounces light rum
Club soda
1 cup sugar--this will be made into a simple syrup; you can add more to taste if you have a sweet tooth. I usually add a little less.
1/4 cup pomegranate juice


1. In a small pan over medium high heat, combine sugar with 1 cup water. Stir until the sugar dissolves. Continue to simmer until the syrup is quite thick, about 10 minutes. Remove from heat and allow to cool completely. This simple syrup can be made up to 2 weeks in advance and kept in the refrigerator.


2. In a glass jar or cocktail mixer, combine 1/4 cup of the simple syrup and the mint leaves. Use the back of a wooden spoon or a muddler and gently crush the mint leaves. Add the pomegranate juice, lime juice and rum and shake well. (This can be made up to an hour in advance and kept in the refrigerator.) Divide the ice between two tall glasses or balloon wine glasses and add club soda to each glass, to your taste. Shake the rum mixture, divide between glasses and garnish with mint and pomegranate seeds (you can 'pound' out the seeds into a bowl by hitting them with the back of a spoon).



Happy Friday! Anyone up for happy hour? :)

3 comments:

hempenhomespun said...

Hey Dana,

The new layout of your blog looks great and your cocktail sounds ever so yummy:)

Can't wait to see your site:)

Erin

Ashley Kate said...

I have not tried that kind! But since I am fresh out of cheese now, I better go get some!

Kristy Goldman said...

Those look delicious! I'm in Florida - I think a mojito is appropriate for this little vacation!

Kristy

Did I miss anything?

I love to post inspired ideas and photos from other blogs and the web. I try my best to give credit where it's due, but if I miss something, please let me know. And, if you want something taken down, I can do that. No problemo.

Labels