4.13.2009

Buttercream vs. fondant.

Yum...cake...!

I wish I were one of those people. You know, the ones who say, "I don't like dessert" or "I don't like anything sweet" (you know who you are).

I'm not a fan of sugar in my coffee or tea or for things to be sweet just for the sake of being sweet. But I do love dessert. I do love pastries. And I do love cake. Especially carrot cake. Anyone have a good recipe they want to share with me?

When you start planning your wedding and decide to have cake at your reception, you will be faced with the question, buttercream or fondant? Here are some quick guidelines to help you make the decision.

TASTE:
Most fondant sort of tastes like marshmallows and is typically overly sweet. There are those who think hands-down, buttercream is better tasting than fondant. However, there are bakers who are able to make good/decent tasting fondant, if they make it by hand (instead of buying it bulk). Buttercream is your typical, creamy frosting that tastes like sugary whipped cream. I personally like the lighter styles that melt in your mouth, rather than the thicker, super sweet type.

APPEARANCE:
Fondant looks like smooth satin. Often, bakers are able to use it for more intricate designs because it can be molded into just about anything. But again, this depends on your baker and how experienced he or she is working with it. There are many wonderful cake designers who are able to duplicate the appearance of fondant with buttercream, like the below photos.


[intricate icings, left and top, Mulberries, right]

ENDURANCE:
If you're going to have your cake outdoors, you'll want to use a fondant covered cake. Buttercream, because of it's butter content, tends to melt in the heat.

These cakes are covered in fondant.

[Intricate Icings]


COST:
Fondant usually costs more than buttercream.


You may ask, what is more important, taste or appearance? But you can have a beautiful fondant covered cake that tastes good as well. It's important to taste the fondant of your baker and ask if they make it in-house or buy bulk. Additionally, be sure to look at your cake designer's portfolio and see if there's a similar design to what your expecting your cake to look like. Also, ask your baker if they make their cake mix in-house or if they buy it in bulk...yes, many bakers will buy large quantities of wholesale cake mix, rather than making it from scratch.

So how do you answer that burning question? I say choose both! Tell your baker to add a layer of buttercream under the fondant. It's your wedding, have the best of both worlds.

[Cake Girls]

[Cake Girls]

[Cake Girls]

[Charm City]

[Fancy Nancy]

[By Request]

4 comments:

A Wedding Story said...

We are doing fondant because I think buttercream is icky. I'm not a big icing fan anyways. PS - I finally was allowed to join your blog, it worked! YES!

Hannah Noel said...

I hate fondant. lol. I always scrape it off.

Nichole said...

Just FYI, when a baker covers a cake in fondant, they have to put buttercream or some other kind of frosting on the cake first. If not, the fondant has nothing to adhere to and the bumps and lumps in the cakes show right through. When deciding on fondant v buttercream, it's really a matter of taste and budget.

disa said...

情趣用品,情趣,成人遊戲,成人電影,成人論壇,成人,做愛,aio,情色小說,ut聊天室,ut聊天室,豆豆聊天室,聊天室,尋夢園聊天室,080視訊聊天室,免費視訊聊天,哈啦聊天室,視訊聊天,080聊天室,080苗栗人聊天室,6k聊天室,視訊聊天室,成人聊天室,中部人聊天室,免費視訊,視訊交友,視訊美女,視訊做愛,正妹牆,美女交友,玩美女人,美女,美女寫真,美女遊戲,hi5,hilive,hi5 tv,a383,微風論壇,微風,伊莉,伊莉討論區,伊莉論壇,sogo論壇,台灣論壇,plus論壇,plus,痴漢論壇,維克斯論壇,情色論壇,性愛,性感影片,校園正妹牆,正妹,AV,AV女優,SEX,走光,a片,a片免費看,A漫,h漫,成人漫畫,免費A片,色情網站,色情遊戲,情色文學,麗的色遊戲,色情,色情影片,同志色教館,色色網,色遊戲,自拍,本土自拍,kk俱樂部,後宮電影院,後宮電影,85cc免費影城,85cc免費影片,免費影片,免費小遊戲,免費遊戲,小遊戲

Did I miss anything?

I love to post inspired ideas and photos from other blogs and the web. I try my best to give credit where it's due, but if I miss something, please let me know. And, if you want something taken down, I can do that. No problemo.

Labels