4.14.2009

Talent.

Here's the thing.

I am secretly a bohemian, hippy artist living inside a Type-A exterior. I love reggae and classic rock, but dress in clean, classic lines. I love my pearl necklace as much as my braided, leather belt. I can sit through the ballet or opera and actually love it so much I have tears in my eyes. I am at home in the theater as much as I am camping on dirt in the mountains. If I had just a bit (okay, a lot) more talent, I would love to be able to play the guitar and sing around the camp fire. To meet me, you would realize I don't lay out all the cards on the table at once.

My artsy side wishes it were better at artsy things. Like singing. Like painting. But mostly, I wish I could take amazing photos. Sure, I point and shoot pretty well, but I am honest with myself about my limitations. I am good at what I choose to keep doing, but oh, how I wish I could capture life's moments with the grace of a fabulous photographer.

I once read that a wedding photographer is the nation's most over-payed profession. And sure, it may seem like $3500 (or even $1000 for that matter) is a crazy amount of money to spend on a photographer. There are many things I personally wouldn't spend a lot of money on for a wedding. But photography is an art form and if you have hired a photographer that does their job well, then your wedding is captured as art that will be cherished by you and your family for generations to come. You can't buy memories, but a fabulous photographer will capture your moments and make them beautiful through their creativity, skill and expertise.

I was talking with a photographer today and she sent me this article. I would highly recommend reading it. It will give you some insight to the wedding photographer's world and why they charge what they do.



[Laura Novak]


[Jared Wilson]

6 comments:

LPC said...

I hear you on the artsy self inside a different exterior. Artsy selves tend to stage rebellions late in life:).

Cyd said...

You and I, we might be the same flower child self trapped in similar preppy chic exteriors. ;-) And seriously, I can't imagine the hours and effort that goes into good wedding photography and I'll gladly pay big bucks to mine!

Hannah Noel said...

I felt like I was reading my own thoughts there for a while!!!

Sometimes spending a thousand or more dollars just isn't in the budget :(

AmberW said...

I am going to go and read that article right now... I have been stepping into the world of photography and would LOVE to be a wedding photographer :)
Those photos are amazing!

AmyJean said...

I love those photos! :)
RelentlessBride

Candi said...

Wow. I couldn't have said it better myself.

Did I miss anything?

I love to post inspired ideas and photos from other blogs and the web. I try my best to give credit where it's due, but if I miss something, please let me know. And, if you want something taken down, I can do that. No problemo.

Labels