5.04.2009

The first dance.


Choosing our first dance was a cinch. For us, there is special meaning to Led Zeppelin's, "Thank You" and we knew that would be the song we'd dance to in front of our friends and family as we celebrated our marriage.

Sample lyrics:

"If the sun refused to shine,
I would still be loving you.
If mountains crumbled to the sea,
there would still be you and me."

Too bad our band sang a Rod Stewart song instead. At that moment, we are laughing in our photos. Nothing against Rod, but it wasn't OUR song. So much for romance...

For some couples, choosing the song to dance their first dance to isn't so easy. For many reasons, a couple may not have their song. Instead, they have many or perhaps haven't chosen one. But after you share the special moment of your first dance, you will certainly be able to add the song you choose to the list.

Here are a few ideas:

Contemporary
All I Want Is You-U2
Better Together-Jack Johnson
By Your Side-Sade
Can't Take My Eyes Off of You-Lauryn Hill
Come Away With Me-Norah Jones
Make You Feel My Love-Adele (my new fav!)
If I Ain't Got You-Alicia Keys
Stay With You-John Legend
The Way I Am-Ingrid Michaelson
Such Great Heights-Iron and Wine
I'm Yours-Jason Mraz
Sea of Love-Cat Power

Classic
Baby, I Love Your Way-Peter Frampton
The Best of My Love-Eagles
Just the Way You Are-Billy Joel
Let's Stay Together-Al Green
Maybe I'm Amazed-Paul McCartney
Crazy Love-Van Morrison
One Love-Bob Marley

Standards
At Last-Etta James
Dream a Little Dream of Me-Ella Fitzgerald and Louis Armstrong
It Had to Be You-Harry Connick, Jr.
The Way You Look Tonight-Frank Sinatra
These Arms of MIne-Otis Redding
Unchained Melody-The Rightous Brothers
Our Love is Here To Stay-Billie Holiday
Unforgettable-Nat King Cole

Country
Forever and Ever, Amen-Randy Travis
It's Your Love-Tim McGraw and Faith Hill
Making Memories of Us-Keith Urban
She's Everything-Brad Paisley
When You Love Me-Martina McBride
You're Still the One-Shania Twain
Cross My Heart-George Strait

What was the song you first danced to as a married couple?

4 comments:

amybyrd said...

The One I Love by David Gray

kle said...

Beautiful Tonight by Eric Clapton. My husband's choice.

Why did you band change the song you'd chosen?!

Once A Bride said...

It's not that they 'changed' it per se, but more more that they just didn't bother to learn it. And I was pretty laid back with my vendors--the lead singer was a friend of my mom's and he told her he was going to learn it and then decided not to, I guess! C'est la vie. :) My mom was pretty peeved though- notice I said he WAS a friend of my mom's. haha.

Cyd said...

I would be pretty upset if our first dance song got changed, only because I think it's one of the most meaningful moments...one of the few formalities we're including. I'd be laughing though in that moment were it Rod instead of Zeppelin!

Did I miss anything?

I love to post inspired ideas and photos from other blogs and the web. I try my best to give credit where it's due, but if I miss something, please let me know. And, if you want something taken down, I can do that. No problemo.

Labels